Your dental hygienist will check your mouth for a variety of factors, including:
At your first dental appointment, your dentist or dental hygienist will:
- Assess the overall oral health and oral hygiene of the patient
- Assess the risk of tooth decay, root decay, and gum or bone disease
- Assess the need for tooth restoration or replacement
- Scan the patient’s jaw for any issues
- Evaluate the patient’s bite functionality
- Remove minor stains or deposits on the patient’s teeth
- Evaluate the patient’s need for fluoride
- In some circumstances, take a dental X-ray
The circumstances of a first dental appointment vary depending on the patient’s age and overall mouth health. If you are an adult and have never had a dental appointment, we recommend scheduling a dental appointment as soon as possible to avoid problems and to prevent costly dental issues in the future.
Do you have a child who needs to see the dentist for the first time?
Read this: What age should my child go to the dentist?